Monday, February 2, 2009

FOREIGNER is written on my forehead...

I didn't plan on writing on this blog so much, but a few things have happened recently that just need to be shared. Today was the first day of classes and although it went well, I pointed myself out as someone that isn't from around here all day long.

The day started when I met a friend at the Atocha station to buy a month long metro pass. These are not sold in the staion itslef, but they sell these in tobacco stores. Even after getting one I still don't understand the conncetion between cigarrets and metro passes. Then after I had finished filling it out the vendor keep telling me something that I didn't understand. I stood there for about a minute doing nothing, looking at the card I had completly filled out while he repeatedly told me the same thing until a Spanish lady in line kindly told me in English that he wanted my signature.

It was quite a way to start a rainy day. After eating some breakfast I parted ways with my amiga and ran into an Italian friend I had met at orientation waiting for the same train. He introduced me to his other friend and we discovered that we were going to the same class, but apparently we were both a little missinformed. When we got to the class it was almost full, and I noticed that there were quite a few Spanierds in the class. The teacher then started teaching, but in Spanish of course. We looked at eachother and decided that she was just speaking Spanish because she was easing the other stuents in or something. I couldn't understand everything, but she was talking about the Internet and other methods of communcations. Finally we asked a girl in front of us and we discovered that it wasn't the right class at all. So then we got to take the walk of shame out of class as the lost exchange students. Our class had been moved across the hall without us knowing, so then we attended the right class.

After class I then went to the exchange office to try and get my campus e-mail working. And it seemed like every exchange student was there trying to solve some problem. It seemed like I fixed my problem there... but I didn't. Tomorrow I'll have to check out the line again.

One more thing happened today which pointed me out as a stranger in these parts. I went to the local supermarket and bought myself a few different foods and after checking out they have a bag it yourself system. I've done this before at home and even last week at this store, but for some reason I couldn't get the plastic bag to open, like all plastic bags do it was just sticking together. So I tried the next one and couldn't open it either. I was there for about a minute trying to open my bags and one of the guys behind me in line who had just checked out helped me out and of course opened it no problem. I'm as American as can be apparantly.

Also I thought that you might want to see a few pictures so here are a few. And probably the mere fact that I took all these photos reminded people I'm not from around here.



We had to get some American food back in our system.


Crazy cow art.


Really cool building, so many buildings have amazing statues on top.


Visiting El Museo del Prado


Yesterday's Snow

1 comment:

  1. They always sold bus tickets in tabacconists in Rome. I think it's because in order to survive public transportation you need to smoke like a chainsaw.

    ReplyDelete