Thursday, March 5, 2009

Misplaced Eyes

So doing this blog has been a lot of fun, but there are a lot of fun things to do in Spain and sleep is fun as well. These factors make it difficult to do the blog everyday, or consistently every week. From the observations I've made, the equation looks like this:

F(blog) < F(Spain) + F(Sleep)

*F being the function of fun

But I'll do my best to catch you up.

I spent the greater part of last week getting over my cold, but luckily the cough/all around sick feelings went away by the end of the week. But during my week of sickness, something very, very strange came to pass. I was riding the metro home from school one day and I looked at the row in front of me and noticed that a man had gotten out a certain amount of an illegal substance and was proceeding it roll it into a form that could be smoked. It was something very funny to see on the metro, as there are no-smoking signs everywhere and there is just no need for "no smoking illegal things signs," but some people may need them. I began to laugh to myself, needing affirmation that this was actually funny I started to look around to see if anyone else noticed. I made eye contact with the guy right in front of me and we both laughed, but that turned out to be a mistake. After one laugh I assumed it would go back to the status quo avoiding eye contact game known as riding the metro, but he persisted. Not knowing what to do I dodged my eyes around, but he was sitting right in front of me and there was no avoiding it. I didn't quite understand and just thought that he must have thought the weed smoking man was much funnier than I did, but I turned out to be very wrong.

I got off at my stop and began to walk the wrong direction, so I turned around and noticed the eye guy was right behind me. I walked past him, but he changed directions too. He hung up his phone and began to talk to me. Thinking he wanted to laugh more about the weed man, I went along with the conversation. To my surprise he never mentioned the man and started asking me where I'm from, how long I'm in town, if I want to hang out, etc... After declining several times, because of having plans with friends, and after a few choice words of his I realized he had very, very different intentions that I originally believed. The adrenaline must have rushed to my brain, because in some of the best Spanish I think I've ever used I began to explain how I never meant to give him the wrong impression, I was making eye contact about the weed man, I didn't intend to imply certain things by laughing, and so on. He applogized for the confusion and I quickly left. I spent the next few times on the metro looking at either the ground or my feet.

Lesson learned: never make eye contact with another male on the metro. Even if there is a fire look down and run.

Well even after that strange encounter I still had a very fun weekend. Friday night I went with my Finnish friends, and Sandro (Swiss) to a salsa club. Although we weren't the only ones our age there, we were at least 10 years younger than the average age. Not knowing more than the basic step, I was determined to try. That night I danced with more women closer to the age of my mother than me, but it was okay because they were the best dancers. But it was a little embarrasing when they would say "listen to the music" and I would have to respond, "I'm trying!" For me the dancefloor was a dangerfield of misplaced toes, knees, and elbows. But I tried, I had fun, and I'm pretty sure I made the night of several ladies who danced with someone close to the age of their sons.

Well this week has been cold, rainy, and dark. I need some sun again. Watchmen comes tomorrow and I'm very excited about that. But I can't get into that now, because I need to do some homework, so adios until next time.

4 comments:

  1. hahaha! who knew that eye contact and laughing was the international signal for rainbow love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that talking or looking around on the metro is a taboo in every country except for the US! -j

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful Connor, but that was funny! I stopped reading that one to Joe!lmao

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious. You should have at least tried to get a free drink out of it though.

    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete