Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Free Gum

I have not made a post in the while, because usually I feel like I should post when I go on a trip or do something incredible here, but for the most part I have been living my everyday life here in Madrid. But everyone of those days has had something special and this is the point when I'm wishing I had kept some sort of journal. But I didn't and I'm afraid I've already lost some of those little memories. There is no changing that now, but I'll try to share a couple of those things.

Although the stereotype of a Spaniard may not be the nicest person in the world, my experience has been quite positive. As a side note we've actually been going over stereotypes of Spaniards in my Spanish class to practice certain grammatical forms, but I think it is secretly an information gathering tool to improve the outlook of Spain in the world. Anyway, the old people have been my favorite. I know I imagined that everyone of the older generation would be hardened and closed after years of living under the Franco fascist government. This is not the case at all, as they are almost always overly helpful, friendly, and enjoyable to talk to. I've had to ask directions many times, while finding parks, rock chairs, and even the way home. They are always more than happy to help, give directions, and in one case even draw a map. There is one elderly man in his 60's or so that lives in my building who I see occasionally and enjoys correcting my Spanish. He is a professor at a university close by. Today when there wasn't enough room on our tiny elevator for everyone, I got off as an old lady got on and told him to get in since I could walk. He then said "No," and that I was going to walk up with him. So we walked up together as he kept asking me what we were doing and I would have to respond in Spanish, but with the proper pronunciation of course. When we were at his floor, he told me to come in to show him where Arkansas was on a map. I had told I was from here before and every time he sees me he asks where I'm from, so he can here me pronounce it the Spanish way, "Ar-Kansas." After showing him where it was and showing where all I've traveled in the Sates I was headed out as he stopped me and as he opened a new case of Mentos gum. I'm not a big gum chewer, but I accepted and after taking the pieces he handed me the pack and told me to take it all. He once again reminded me to come by his flat if I need anything and he demonstrated how to use the doorbell as he walked out behind me.

Strangly enough this isn't the only pack of free gum I've recieved here. I've become friends with the owner of a small convience store half a block up my street. The convience store business within Madrid is dominated by the Chinese sub-population. I'm pretty sure this one is run by him and his wife, both of Chinese decent, but were born in Spain. Well wanting to practice my Spanish more, one day I struck up a conversation and ever since then we talk whenever I go in. He too gave me a free pack of gum, Trident I believe. Because of these two incidents, the amount of free packages of gum I've recieved in the past few months greatly outnumbers the amount of gum I have purchased in the past few years. And even though I don't really like gum that much, I will chew these with joy thanks to the gratious people of Spain.

I also went to a bull fight a couple weeks ago here in Madrid. The Plaza de Toros here is the second largest in the world and I'm sure one of the most beautiful. I know many people disagree with bull fights, but I went to less to see a bull die, but to experience a cultural tradition. And it was definitely full of tradition and I felt even more like I really was in Spain (after 3+ months of already being here). I'm not going to argue for or against them, but I will say that I did enjoy the fight and would go back if I get a chance. Another amazing thing about it was that the ticket was only 2.20 euros! The snack I then bought from a vendor outside (peanuts and a drink) cost 4 times the price of admisions. Sports food vendors seem to be the same wethere it is at a Razorback Football game or a Spanish Bull Fight.

(I'll give a warning that I'm going to post a picture from the fight, so if you have objections don't continue below. )


Right now I should be doing my Macroeconomics II homework, but honestly it is too dificult and I get frustrated looking at it. I also have a final coming on Tuesday that I may or may not be ready for. Tomorrow after class I'm going down to Seville for the weekend. It is a 6 hour bus ride, so there is 12 hours worth of studying, right? We'll see and I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment